Vice Admiral (ITCG) Vincenzo MELONE was born in Rome on 9 February 1953. After having earned a high school scientific diploma, he attended the Naval Academy from 1972 to 1976 taking a bachelor's degree in maritime and naval science.
As navy officer he has served in a variety of ships of the Italian Navy fleet including Etna, Doria, Impavido, San Giorgio, Centauro and Canopo, having completed the as/sioc and the watchkeeping qualification as deck officer. In 1982 he moved to the Coast Guard Corp covering a broad range of duties commanding:
- La Maddalena Coast Guard District Office (1986 -1987);
- Viareggio Harbour Master Office from 1995 to 1998;
- Pescara Harbour Master Office from 2002 to 2004;
In 1987 he specialized in "Safety of navigation and NBC defence"
Staff appointments have included Assistant to the Minister of Merchant Navy (1989-1991), assistant to the General Commandant of the Coast Guard (1992-1995), responsible for relationship with the Parliament on any Coast Guard related issue (1999- 2002).
He was awarded:
- Commander of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic;
- Gold cross for Length of Military Service ;
- Certificate of Merit with medal award for public calamity rescue operations;
- Officer's cross with swords of merit of the Knight's Militense Order – SMOM;
- Mauriziana medal of merit of a decade of military carrer;
- Commander of Merit with medal of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George.
On 31 May 2005 Vice Admiral (ITCG) Vincenzo MELONE assumed the duties of the Chief of the Third Department "Plans and Operations" of the Italian Coast Guard Headquarters where he was responsible of the air/naval/diving assets of the Coast Guard, search and rescue operations and law enforcement activities to protect marine environment.
On 15 November 2010 he assumed the duties of Chief of the First Department "Human and Resources" of the Italian Coast Guard Headquarters and on 6 January 2013 he was appointed Coast Guard deputy General Commandant.
On 16 May 2013 he assumed the duties of Maritime Director and Harbour Master of the port of Genoa.
Vice Admiral Vincenzo Melone assumed the duties of Commandant of the Italian Coast Guard on 2 November 2015.